SDAFF Facebook SDAFF Twitter SDAFF YouTube SDAFF Home Contact SDAFF Submit your film today! SDAFF Home SDAFF Home Image Map

Sunday, May 31, 2009

An Old But Good One...

Hello everyone! I hope that many of you had a chance to go see the SDAFF presentation of Treeless Mountain down in the Gaslamp! For those who did, I hope it was an enjoyable experience!

After a long week I decided that today sounded like a good day to sit back, relax, and watch a good Asian film at home. Eat Drink Man Woman is a 1994 film by Taiwanese director Ang Lee who has worked on many credible productions including Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Brokeback Mountain, and Lust, Caution (which I highly recommend as well).




The first time I saw this film was in a film history course, and I enjoy it as much now as I did then. Eat Drink Man Woman is a story about a father and his three daughters, each with their own personalities and desires, but also a close attachment to family. Before you start watching this film I must warn you, there are graphic images of Taiwanese cuisine, so I recommend eating a good large meal beforehand or you may end up like me with the sudden urge to buy a wok and start cooking! Cute, smart, funny and sentimental, this film is highly enjoyable and teaches a great lesson about love, life and the importance of family, but don’t take my word for it, check it out yourself! I’d love to hear what you think of it!

-SDAFFMelissa

1 comment:

  1. I loved this film. Still have it on VHS. But I think my favorite of Ang Lee's older works is Pushing Hands and Wedding Banquet.

    ReplyDelete