Oh. My. Effing. God.
That’s all I have to say about opening night.
Seriously though. First night was AMAZING. I cannot wait to see how the rest of the festival unfolds. So I got there late, but picked up my staff badge, tickets for Red Cliff, took pictures with my brother because he was volunteering =D then had a bite to eat before heading over to the Doubletree Hotel for the after party/reception. And oh man. Here are the highlights (in chronological order):
1. Ruining director Mark Tran’s (of ALL ABOUT DAD) life. He asked me where he and company could pick up their all festival badge. I told them at guest services, where they then proceeded to head over there. I see them a bit later without their badges. Guest services was apparently closed for the evening. I apologized and Mark says, “You ruined my life!” Lol.
2. Ambush interview. There was a group of people going around and interviewing the people lounging around about what movie they saw that night. I was with a group of three other staff/volunteers who have been working all day/afternoon/night. Uh, yeah. It was kind of awkward having to tell the interviewer “We actually didn’t see a movie tonight.”
3. Finding out that I’ve been featured on the festival’s website. Daniel Lew says that my blog for all the events was linked and was yesterday’s first update. I’m like in total disbelief. So he shows me on his iPhone that whoever is updates the festival site says “Pamela has the latest scoop on all the festival special events, receptions, parties, and after parties. Have fun!” Crazy! So I do my happy dance =)
4. Starting the dance party! A few people were saying they wanted to utilize the room we had by the pool and start a dance party. But it didn’t really happen until a group of the girls and a couple of guys got up in there and danced! Way fun. And then! Dan Hom comes in and KILLS it on the dance floor. He’s doing the whole box thing with his hands and arms and it was the craziest ish. KILLED IT!
5. Finding my long lost cousin. I thought sitting down with Lee Ann Kim, Mark Tran, and David Huynh (from ALL ABOUT DAD) was fun until I discovered later on that David is actually a long lost cousin. Lol. “Gay and incestuous.” That’s all I’m going to say on that. Lol.
Things to note for Tonight (Friday Night):
• AFRO SAMURAI – Costume Cosplay Contest goes down from 6pm-9:30pm. Winner gets $40 gift card. NO REAL SWORDS ALLOWED! Volunteers who are not working but cosplay will receive credit for half the time they’re there (ex you cosplay from 6pm-9:30pm so you will get 1 hour and 45 minutes of credit).
• WHITE ON RICE – Director David Boyle, and actor Lynn Chen is scheduled to attend. Post WHITE ON RICE, we’re heading out to Belo (919 Fourth Ave, Downtown San Diego). Make sure you RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm tonight to get on the guest list! You’ll get a free drink ticket ;)
I’m soo not looking forward to work. =(