If you’ve been following my blog, it’s pretty obvious that I love SDAFF. And since it’s a non-profit organization dedicated to connecting audiences with the human experience through the media arts, we need all the help we can get. How can you help us? Easy.
1. Watch movies. The Foundation not only puts on its annual film festival, but also has multiple screenings throughout the year. Some of them are even FREE! To stay up to date on what we’re doing, sign up for our e-newsletter at www.sdaff.org (we don’t spam! Promise!)
2. Become a member. There are different levels of membership; Friends, Donors, Supporters, Patrons, and Producers. Depending on your level of membership, you receive different benefits, from receiving discount tickets, to free merchandise, to members only exclusives. For more information on becoming a member, visit www.sdaff.org.
3. Buy SDAFF merchandise. Yes, we have merchandise! We have t-shirts for sale and this year, we have these awesome SDAFF mugs. Please visit our merchandise table to check them out.
4. Buy a star. This year, we are launching our star campaign. Basically, you purchase a star for $10 each and you can have your name, or the name of a loved one, or an organization, written on the star. During the festival, your star will be “shining” and you can point it out to your friends – “Hey look! There’s my name!” Not only that, but for every star you purchase, you will be entered into our drawing for a 7-day Holland America Line Cruise for TWO to the Caribbean or Mexico! (Winner will be announced at the festival’s closing night party on October 29. Winner need not be present to win). Visit our merchandise table to buy stars.
Blood, sweat and tears:
1. Become a volunteer. It’s a non-profit organization and volunteers are the heart and soul of SDAFF. Without volunteers, there would be no SDAFF. And for patrons, your festival experience would be seriously lacking if there weren’t volunteers to help with all the behind the scenes madness. Contact Mark or Julie, our fabulous volunteer coordinators, for more information on signing up. firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
2. Serve on the Board of Directors. A different kind of volunteer, the BoD is comprised of a group of business and community leaders who volunteer their time and expertise, overseeing governance, ensure adequate resources and help with the Foundation’s strategic direction. You can talk to any of the board members about their experience with SDAFF and about joining. Or if you’re set on becoming a board member, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 858.565.1264.
3. Spread the good word. There are still A LOT of people in San Diego who have not heard of the Film Festival, never mind the foundation. The average person knows 250 people. Each of those 250 people know another 250 people. That’s potentially 62,500 people! So tell a friend to tell a friend! Change your status on facebook or twitter. Follow us on twitter online, become a fan on facebook (and leave us comments!), and we still have a myspace!
4. Bring your friends and family (or your hot date). This is pretty much the same as spreading the good word. But this goes a step further in actually getting people to our events. Because two is better than one.