SDAFF Facebook SDAFF Twitter SDAFF YouTube SDAFF Home Contact SDAFF Submit your film today! SDAFF Home SDAFF Home Image Map

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Manila Skies

Hi everyone!

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to attend part of the LA Asian Pacific Film Festival held at the DGA. I was able to see a movie called Manila Skies directed by Raymond Red. Manila Skies is a about the poverty and difficult labor environment in the Philippines. The story's main character is named Raul and the movie demonstrates the hardships in the Philippines through his life. The movie is based off a real event that took place in the Philippines when a man hijacked an airplane and tried to use a self-made parachute to get home. You develop a real emotional connection with the character and the situations presented in the film. I was one of the youngest audience members in the theatre, but was still able to understand what the movie was trying to narrate and I developed a greater understanding about the situation in certain areas of the Philippines. I would recommend this film to anyone 18 or older as there is some content that can only be fully understood by an older demographic. I just wanted to close by saying I thoroughly enjoyed the LA Asian Pacific Film festival and hope to attend again next year.

-Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment