SDAFF Facebook SDAFF Twitter SDAFF YouTube SDAFF Home Contact SDAFF Submit your film today! SDAFF Home SDAFF Home Image Map

Friday, May 7, 2010

Time to Cry (no not really) Sophia's Kinda Last Blog


So my internship here at SDAFF has officially ended even though I’m still here on a Friday afternoon writing this blog that Phil made me do. I just finished watching yet another movie - this time about a Japanese wedding with an alcoholic uncle. And now, me and Maggy are waiting for Phil to come back so we can discuss the process of selecting a movie to be shown the festival.


It’s been about 3 months here and I’ve learned so much about the film industry. First, I’ve definitely increased the amount of Asian films that I watched considering I watched 5 shorts just 2 weeks ago. Coming into this internship, I honestly told Phil that I did not have much experience with films and that I don’t really watch movies, so it I was pretty surprised when he hired me (which I am grateful for). In addition to watching multiple films every time I come in, I learned about the purpose of watching a film and what makes a good one and what makes a bad one. Though my film knowledge isn’t top notch, I am still going to leave here (whenever that may be) with a lot more knowledge about it.

When I first started, Phil had me work on the operations manual. That was actually something I could do. Organization is one of my strongest traits and since the operations manual was created already, I just had to go through and organize it and figure out what else was needed. I gave my expert advice of keeping it in a nice binder with some cool tabs to separate each section in addition to organizing the actual context.

Then it seemed like the tasks got a little more random, from typing up papers, organizing more stuff, cleaning the back room, creating a library for the films, Lynda.com class… but I knew that I was somehow all relevant to the organization and I did everything with minimal complaints.


Overall, I have learned a lot about films, especially Asian ones, and things it takes to run a non-profit organization. What I will take away from this is the knowledge of how an organization works and the processes it takes to put everything together for a San Diego Asian Film Festival.


-Sophia Yuen

No comments:

Post a Comment