SDAFF Facebook SDAFF Twitter SDAFF YouTube SDAFF Home Contact SDAFF Submit your film today! SDAFF Home SDAFF Home Image Map

Monday, July 26, 2010

REEL VOICES Summer Update #4: Calvin Ha

REEL VOICES SUMMER UPDATES:

REEL VOICES is a summer high school internship where students from around San Diego County come together to learn about documentary filmmaking. They create a short documentary, are mentored by industry professionals, and have the opportunity to learn skills to help them succeed within the business.

During the summer, we'll have the opportunity to meet the students in the REEL VOICES class and have them take us through the journey of creating their short documentary.

This week we meet Calvin Ha



My grandma raised me as a child, with my mom and dad serving as emotional and physical supports. I grew up with a strong Vietnamese tradition with hints of American inspiration. The positive red and negative black wires were the most wonderful toys offered to me as a child, they brought to life electric motors and capacitors keeping the days long. I like exploring different cultures and lifestyles, it is the best way I believe to experience life. My grandma always taught me to cherish and appreciate the simple things, finding beauty in them motivated me to where I am today. Film, and I mean traditional 35mm cinema film, has inspired me since the legendary film: Pulp Fiction by Quentin Tarantino. A camera has the ability to see beyond physical barriers and reveal abstract concepts like love and hate that we can relate back to in our own lives. I am a Marauder from Mira Mesa High School planning to attend community college and transferring to UCLA for film related studies. On most days, you'll find me in the local Panera Bread with a mocha espresso, writing about the next scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment