SDAFF Facebook SDAFF Twitter SDAFF YouTube SDAFF Home Contact SDAFF Submit your film today! SDAFF Home SDAFF Home Image Map

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Welcome Grace Lee!


Hi, my name is Grace Lee and I am the new Special Events intern at SDAFF. I am currently attending UCSD and am a double major in Communication Studies and Visual Arts, Media Studies. I am from a small suburban town outside of Sacramento called Rocklin where I am one of the very few Asian-Americans at my high school.

Growing up in a predominantly white upper-class community made a large impact on the way I viewed Asians and myself, especially. I was, in a way, embarrassed to be called a Korean in an all-white high school and I quickly transformed myself into this white-washed “twinkie”. I forgot how to speak Korean, was requesting my mom to cook non-smelling, non-Korean food, and was trying to reject the stereotypical K-pop culture. I was constantly stereotyped as the Asian nerd and molded into this “model minority”, but I never had the guts to stand up for myself and I really internalized these feelings all throughout high school. I think that’s why I felt so compelled to intern at SDAFF.

This was an opportunity for me connect with others who understood my struggles as an Asian-American minority and it was an opportunity for me to do something about it.
Before starting this internship, my experience with SDAFF didn’t extend past the fact that I attended their film festival in 2009 to watch Scandal Makers. Once I applied for this internship and went into the interview with Phil, I realized how much of SDAFF I was really missing out on. The kind of passion that SDAFF has towards the Asian-American movement was so apparent to me and I knew that I wanted to be part of a team that really sought to create this positive social change within San Diego and the greater Asian-American community.

After only being here for a week, I’ve already seen 4 films and have really learned how to appreciate and critically assess Asian-American cinema. I hope that through this internship, I can become more culturally aware and contribute to the outreach of the issues that all Asian-Americans face today through the power of cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment